Egypt: Officials claim mistaken identity after toddler sentenced to life

Egypt: Officials claim mistaken identity after toddler sentenced to life

Overview

By Sarah El Sirgany, CNN
Cairo (CNN)Family members of a 3-year-old Egyptian boy sentenced to life in prison last week say they feel relieved after receiving assurances from officials that neither the boy nor his father will be arrested.

The boy’s father, Mansour Qorany Sharara, has returned to the family home in the southern Egyptian province of Fayyoum after nearly 18 months on the run. He had been avoiding authorities who had previously detained him when they came to arrest his young son.

In a surreal verdict, a military court last week found 3-year-old Ahmed Mansour Qorany Sharara — and 115 others — guilty of killing three people and sabotaging public and private property during a political demonstration in January 2014.

The guilty verdict that came out on February 16 caused an uproar.

“How could people trust justice if they see this?” TV presenter Wael Elebrashy asked as he interviewed the boy’s father in a Cairo studio on Saturday.

Ahmed was sleeping as his father held him during the interview and cried, pleading for help. Sharara said he was worried his son would be imprisoned.

Father detained for months, driven to flee

Sharara had already suffered a great deal for the bizarre charges against his child.

When the police first came to arrest Ahmed in early 2014 and realized he was a toddler, they took his father into custody instead. Sharara was detained for four months before a judge released him.

Sharara has since spent nearly a year and a half on the run, evading authorities pursuing the case against the toddler, for fear he would be arrested, he told Elebrashy.

But in the wake of the public outrage over the case, officials gave assurances that neither father nor son would be arrested again.
Plane crash still hurting tourism in Egypt

Plane crash still hurting tourism in Egypt 02:15

An aide to the interior minister phoned Elebrashy’s show to say it was a case of mistaken identity. The aide, Gen. Abu Bakr Abdel Karim, promised that Ahmed and his father would not be jailed.

The military released a statement the following day saying the person wanted in the case was a 16-year-old with the same name as Ahmed, who had fled authorities.

The assurances did not completely allay the family’s fears, however.

During Sharara’s interview with Elebrashy, Ahmed’s mother, Hemat Mostafa, phoned the TV station to say the police had just left their home after inquiring about Ahmed and his father.

“If it is true that it was a mistaken identity, why did they come to arrest the boy? Why haven’t security arrested the right defendant then?” lawyer Mahmoud Abu Kaf said to CNN.

Charges stem from pro-Morsy protest

The charges at the heart of the matter stem from a protest by supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsy that took place in January 2014 and ensuing clashes in Fayyoum, according to a statement by the Egyptian military.

The boy was sentenced along with 115 defendants — all found guilty of killing three people and sabotaging public and private property.

Lawyers of other defendants in the case had shown the court Ahmed’s birth certificate in hopes of discrediting the investigations that led to their clients’ arrests.

“Security submitted their investigations 24 hours after the incident took place, naming 116 defendants,” Abu Kaf told CNN.

“We wanted to tell the judge that these are invalid investigations and our proof is the inclusion of the child, and a man who was out of the country when the incident in question took place, among the defendants,” he added.

READ: Court rejects Mubarak appeal bid
Egypt's red carpet controversy

Egypt’s red carpet controversy 01:36

Mass sentencing has become common in Egyptian civilian and military courts in the wake of the ousting of Morsy, drawing criticism from the U.N. and human rights groups.

In 2014, over a thousand people were sentenced to death in two cases involving the deaths of police officers during protests. The sentences were later reduced to life sentences for most of the defendants.

“Most cases involving big events are based on investigations and no tangible evidence. We’ve seen cases where defendants were either deceased years before the incident or in prison when it happened,” Abu Kaf said.