Thankful tenant applauds firefighters’ swift response
By Spectrum News Staff
ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Rochester firefighters say they were able to quickly put out an early morning attic fire.
They say smoke was coming from the attic of the South Goodman Street home when they got there around 1:30 a.m. Thursday.
They say because the fire was in the attic ceiling, smoke detectors hadn’t yet gone off in the apartment house.
The person who called in the fire, tenant Larry Cieslinski, says he woke up when his TV went off, and that’s when he noticed embers coming from the ceiling.
“The fire department got here in like four minutes,” Cieslinski said. “They told me to get out of the apartment, which I was already on my way out and they got up to the attic and knocked it down, so god bless these guys.
Investigators say the fire appears to be accidental, but they’re not yet sure what started it.
No one was hurt.