Two safe after Bay St. fire

Two safe after Bay St. fire

Overview

By Spectrum News Staff

ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Two people woke up to the sound of smoke detectors as a fire spread through their home in Rochester early Saturday morning.

Firefighters showed up within minutes to find heavy flames coming from the first floor of the Bay Street home just before 5 a.m.

The two people were able to get out safely by the time crews got to the scene.

Firefighters say this frigid weather is taking a toll on not only their members but the equipment. Firefighters working to pump water on the fire had to deal with hoses freezing up in the process.

Crews were able to get the fire under control but not before it caused some serious damage.

They tell us this could have been much worse if the residents did not have working smoke detectors.

“We can not say enough about a working smoke detector. It paid for itself today,” said Deputy Chief David Kaltenbach, RFD. “The first floor; the sleeping quarters, were extensively damaged. Had they not had that warning, who’s to say what could have happened?”

Firefighters say there is no sign at this point of what started the fire.

One member of the Rochester Protectives, a volunteer organization within the Rochester Fire Department, was treated by ambulance at the scene after experiencing a medical emergency.

The Red Cross is assisting one adult.