Community

Tenants Escape Apartment Fire Despite Lack of Working Smoke Detectors

Posted On
Posted By KFJ

By Spectrum News Staff

Tenants at a Rochester apartment were forced out of their home by a fire early Thursday morning.

Firefighters say someone on the second floor of a Woodward Street duplex noticed smoke and called 911 around 1:30 a.m.

Officials say there were no working smoke detectors in that unit.

“Had the occupant on the second floor not been awake and noticed the smoke, it would’ve been a completely different situation,” said Rochester Fire Department Battalion Chief Michael Dobbertin.

Officials say there’s some damage to the second floor.

Five people live in the duplex and firefighters said it wasn’t immediately clear what started the fire. 

Related Post